Friday 24 August 2012

Testing times

After a good few weeks classes it was finally time for Molly to do her bronze good citizen test.  She lined up with another 5 dogs - amusingly the rest were all black and white - four collies and a springer spaniel.


The examiner was Bob Haynes who set a strict level and as a result only three of the dogs passed.  I was very pleased with Molly who did not put a paw wrong and especially pleased with her stay as we did them individually and she was clearly not totally comfortable with someone with a clipboard stood closer to her than I was - but she listened to me and stayed - good girl Molly!

The test was on Tuesday night and the following Thursday we went to the Silver class to see how Molly got on with the more difficult exercises.  She coped fine with a 2 minute stay instead of the 1 minute she had been used to but was not at all sure about me leaving her 10 paces for a recall.  That was the only real problem so when I heard the Silver test was the following week we decided to give it a try.  I did some work in the week adding distance to her recall and by the test night knew she could wait if she was comfortable but it was a bit of a lottery!!

Again there were six dogs lined up for the test


Unfortunately another dog moved on the stay and when the handler went back (as instructed by the examiner) Molly sat up so she failed on that part.  I was extremely pleased with her though as she passed every other part of the test including the recall and the playing.  Altogether she was a confident happy girl who worked her heart out for me and I certainly can't fault that!




No comments:

Post a Comment