Monday 11 July 2011

Securely fenced

I am starting to trust Molly more off lead now so decided over the weekend to give her a walk over "the wedge" which is a lovely countryside area with fields, ponds and streams.  All was going so well until we reached the small woodland area and although I knew it would be super tempting to a bird chaser like Moll I thought it was a good trial as it was "safe" as bordered on one side by a nice secure fence with a school behind.

Things were going very nicely until we reached the corner and Molly was rummaging in the undergrowth, I walked on a little and called her, saw her wandering through the thick bushes - and then suddenly she was not there any more.  Tried not to panic and just called her a few more times with no result at all - could not see her, could not hear her.  Just to add to my tension I had fogotten my mobile phone so could not call anyone for help and also would not be available if she had wandered up to someone who might try calling the number on her collar.

After what felt like forever but was probably a few minutes I decided to try to push my way through the think brambles and nettles (lovely!!) to see if I could see a route she had followed.  The clearest place seemed to be near the school fence so I pushed my way through and there in the school field was Molly!!!  Running somewhat frantically up and down as presumably she tried to find her way back out again.  I called her and she came straight to me - so recall not totally broken - but something of a problem as we were seperated by a very solid six foot metal fence, topped with spikes.

After a bit more panic and a tiny bit of thinking I managed to find a bit of the fence where there was a slight gap underneath and dug a bit more soil out which gave Molly enough of a gap to wriggle through.  Panic over but I think we both gained a fair few grey hairs with that little escapade.

No comments:

Post a Comment