Friday 22 July 2011

To stay or not to stay

That is definitely the question!
We have been going to obedience classes with the goal of getting Molly the KC Good Citizen Bronze award and now have a date for the test on 16th August.  I am fairly confident about the majority of the test but at the moment the 1 minute stay is a major hurdle for us to overcome.  In the grand scale of things if she is not ready and fails the test then it really does not matter - but I would like us to be able to take it and pass so we need to spend some proper time working on stay to give us a fighting chance. 
I have never had much problem with teaching stays in the past so as ever suspect the problem has been caused by the two legged part of the partnership but I am trying hard to break it down into the seperate parts and teach properly.  I have gradually been building duration - but I don't think I have done anywhere near enough building distance so need to work on this so she is comfortable in classes when I leave her.

Just to add extra spice to our life when I went to agility on Thursday, our fourth session, we were put into a different group and told we were going to be taking a test to see if we were ready to move up a group.  It was by far the most complex course we had ever done and her first run was fab.  Unfortunately after that a spaniel came over from another class to play and after that she decided that maybe she wanted to run and play rather that doing what I asked her to.  I suspect we may have failed our test!!  But Molly had a very good time indeed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment