Saturday 18 June 2011

New beginnings




After the worst time of my life with far too many losses of all the most important beings in my life, I am attempting to pull things back and part of my new beginnings is Molly dog.

She has now been in my life for 2 months and is a 17 month old American Cocker Spaniel / Poodle cross.

It is a new beginning for her too as her previous family were looking for a home for her due to disagreements between her and the other younger dog in the family.

She came to me at probably the most difficult time in my life and I think it is fairly safe to say we have both pretty much muddled through the last two months as we get to know each other and adapt to our new lives.  She has also had a new name to get used to and a whole new load of rules, although on the positive side for her she also gets lots of exercise now and is starting training which she is enjoying so far.  Problems she came with include separation anxiety - a huge problem since I work - but thankfully for now resolved by a very kind friend looking after her during the day for me, resource guarding - mostly from other dogs rather than humans, but she will guard anything including leads and me!! - with much help from my friend and her dogs Molly is learning this is not necessary and things are getting easier, and her final issue - chasing - especially birds, if she is on the lead and can't chase she will scream, loudly - we are gradually making progress although still got a long way to go on this one.

Things she has learned so far include, sit, down, to sit before she can come out of the car, a hand touch and the start of heelwork - which she loves!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment